Friday, January 15, 2010

RSV induced Bronchoilitis


The Second Day in the Hospital Not Very Happy but Looks Alot Better!

The Third Day
So, Lilley gave us a little scare these last couple of days and I'll start from the beginning on what happened. Sorry it is going to be kind of long. On Wednesday, Lilley started getting a little congested and had a cough. Nothing big, just the normal cold. On Friday, we went in to get her tubes put in, and the docs listened to her and everything sounded great so they went ahead and did the surgery and everything went great! So, we went home and Lilley spiked a fever of 102.6 and was coughing so hard that she was throwing up. Well, we ended up going to the insta-care that night and the doc said that she sounded good but he thought that she had bronchitis (which was totally wrong!) and gave us an antibiotic and told me what to give her for the cough and we were off. Well, Sat she slept most of the day but the cough was gone (which was a really bad thing and at the time I did not know that) and I figured sleep was good. Sunday came, and she was a lot happier. She was moving around and not sleeping at much but her breathing was getting a little questionable. So, that night I ended taking her to Justin's sisters house (she's a nurse and worked in the NICU for a long time and in the nursery) and she said that her breathing was fast and her lungs sounded crackly but that she was breathing fine and to keep an eye on her through the night so I did. Monday morning we woke up and she sounded the same and I was debating on if I should take her in or not. Well, I finally decided that it was better to be safe then sorry and I am so glad that I did! The doc was behind and while we were waiting her breathing started to get a lot worse. Her nose started flaring and her chest started retracting and I couldn't get her to stay awake. SO SCARY!!! We finally got back there and he checked her breathing rate and her blood oxygen saturation levels and that was 89 and 90 which is really low. So we went up for a chest x-ray (not fun at all!!! Never want to do that again) to make sure she didn't have a bacterial infection and went back down to talk to the doc. He said that there were no infection but that her lungs were full of mucous and that she most likely has RSV which induced Bronchoilitis! He did a breathing treatment on her to see if that would help and it did nothing. So, he told me the bad news that we would have to admit Lilley. By the time that we got admitted into the hospital (you would think that they would get us right up but no! we waiting for about 45 min!!! It made me so mad!!) her oxygen levels were down in the mid to low 80's and she was getting really bad! They hooked her up to oxygen got an IV started that look a long time. She was dehydrated and she has real small veins anyways, so that is why they ended up having to put the IV in her head. Once we got everything situated, we started in our daily routine for the next 4 days. Lilley would sleep a lot, every 3 hours they had to come in and suck her nose out, check her vitals. On day 2 we were able to lower the amount of O2 she was on to a 1/2 liter, but that was all. Day 3 it was lowered to 1/4 of a liter and we tried a couple of times to turn it off, but her levels would drop to the upper 80's so she had to go back on. The morning of day 4 the doc came in and took the tubes out of her nose and she never looked back! This was one of the scariest things I have ever been through even though I knew that she was going to be ok, it was still scary. She was so happy when we got home and slept so good! I hope that I never have to go through something like this ever again!




6 comments:

Emily said...

Oh - those pictures break by hear.

Those kind of things should never have to happen to such little munchkins.

I am so glad it all turned out ok.

Emily said...

They break my heart - not me hear.

Nerd.

Amy said...

Wow, I am glad everything is okay. She is so cute in the first pictures, she does look mad. I would be too! Thank goodness for mothers intuition!

Stephanie said...

I am so glad that she is OK. That has got to be the longest 4 days. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I feel so bad for little Lilley.

Casey and Sheryl said...

I'm really glad everything turned out ok! That is really scary.

Kristie said...

How scary. I'm so glad she is okay. That would be so hard to see your little baby hooked up to all that stuff. Poor Lilley. I'm really glad she is doing better.